Skip to main content

Free form improvisation jazz guitar



a bit of history


My first guitar (black electric) was made by my father when I was 9. I asked him very much to make guitar, as those on photos, and he ordered a wooden body in car garage of his friend and they painted it by beautiful black car lacquer.

My second guitar (acoustic) I bought when I was 12.

During my studying at Polytechnic Institute (5 years, mechanical engineer), I played with my Indie Rock band and in the parallel was graduated after evening musical school on Jazz guitar, where learned some theory and stuf.

After finishing Institute (Sykorsky University now) I started my new band, and we played free improvisation music (not jazz) in Art galleries and had couple of Radio shows nationwide.

That happened in Kiev, USSR in 90's. Now I live in Kyiv, Ukraine. The same place.

the verse

I would like to play guitar
without strings
creating sound under my fingers
full of meaning and free
as a silence at lovers talk


After finishing music school I decided to retune completely my guitar, to make it more low-tuned (we played Grunge/Hard Rock), so I intuitively found my tuning I still use EBEBEB in 3 octaves. As I don't like to learn evergreens (people play it better), my improvisation career IS a full improvisation road of rare discoveries and complete mess. I discovered some cool chords, voicing and spent tons of time rediscovering sound coloration and tonal possibilities.

The most important goal I reached - I can't play standard guitar chords! As my music during my creative career ranged from typical Rock-n-Roll, Led Zep open chords to sitar slow mediation, I went through it to a simple soloing.

today in free jazz


Today I came back to my roots - to fully improvisated music, which I love and hear inside myself. My favorite Jazz artists are Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, Charles Mingus, Tony Williams, Art Blakey. I try to mix electric / digital realm with improvisational nature. I hear it. I like to discover, play and open the new possibilities.

in late 2018 I started to record YouTube videos with impro guitar

Here you are - the Electro Techno Jazz


http://bit.ly/2BHbZeTfree-jazz-guitar







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Electro Techno + Free Jazz + Analog Guitar

Keep things simple - I tell myself everytime I sit to improvise or produce a new impro track with my guitar. And never was happy. All periods and melodies too complicated for free imagination. At first, I don't like to think beforehand what I want to play and I don't like to keep my playing scheduled. No! I'm the free poet, - I tell to myself. How CAN I be programmed to play Saint Music? I used my Fall autumn photography I shot close to my house. It indeed really describes my feelings and mood - lyrical, nostalgic, Zenish and free. Download 24bit audio: https://tobto.bandcamp.com/track/yuri-pollchenko-191119-free-jazz-guitar YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QJSuMZM8I

Michael Craig-Martin RA: advice for an aspiring artist

By far the most important characteristic for anyone wanting to be an artist is desire: the passionate, inexplicable desire to make art. This desire is more important than talent. To have enviable talent but qualified desire is not enough; to have little obvious talent but overwhelming desire may lead to success. Desire can be encouraged but not taught. In my experience, a driven person lacking any recognizable talent may, out of necessity, invent a way to work at which they excel. This is what we call originality. Pleasure in doing is the essential basis for making art. When you love what you do, no effort is too great, no time too long. We are all capable of doing a lot of things for a while, but not for long. Art can only come from what we are able to sustain. I would never advise anyone to become an artist. If you have another option, take it. Most people who end up as artists rarely feel they had an option. Art is the only endeavour I know that models itself around t